Tuesday 4 March 2008

A Night at the Movies

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Last night 3 friends and I went to the Ritz Cinema in Belper to see Sweeney Todd. The movie was great, the perfect macabre story for Tim Burton's dark off beat vision. Johnny Depp was wonderfully sinister and Helena Bonham Carter too. I'm not normally a musical person, and I haven't seen it on stage, but with a cast like that and directed by Tim Burton I had to see it. And the theater in Belper is wonderfully old fashioned and cozy with sofas, and coffee and cakes, wine, olives all sorts of lovely treats.

Two of my friends were shall we say a tad bit squeamish during some of the scenes but we all had fun and I have promised M I will book some seats for his birthday as he hasn't been to the Belper cinema since he was a little boy. It reopened a year or so ago after having been a bingo parlor for many years. The songs are still buzzing around my addled brain, and I have a desire to have a Burton Film Fest sometime in the near future.


1 comment:

Frizbe said...

ah twas great!