Saturday 14 April 2007

Rogue Knitting

As I explained earlier I have recently been learning to Knit. I can knit, purl, cast on, cast off, even make a button hole. But I am at a loss for understanding complicated patterns. I don’t know why, give me something that starts out scarf shaped and I’m fine but I just haven’t got a clue how to translate more difficult patterns into my brain. Must be a left handed thing. I will keep trying in the meantime I have been quite happy making headbands, which are probably about the simplest thing you can knit but they are fun to make and useful unlike the scarves I have made now that it is spring and warm out. Next experiment will be to attempt a hot water bottle cover, one that is a bit more complicated than a scarf sewn together. Honest. I have made an mp3 cover but again that was of my own design after googling various free patterns. And a clutch bag with a button and button hole! That I have neglected to sew the lining into yet. that’s another thing though in my semi-domesticated status, I don’t really know how to sew beyond button replacement and small holes in things, oh and up picking labels from M’s shirts, but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t count. Mind my mother didn’t really sew and my dad did all the cooking and cleaning so I don’t think I’m doing too badly.

I have a book on knitting that I am slowly reading along with several novels and magazines on the go so hopefully I will figure out how to follow a pattern soon and do some more complicated knitting of cables and things, then move onto such husband torturing devices as sweaters and hats.

No comments: